- Support Us
- News & Events
- Social Work
- About Us
The first three Norbertines arrived on Indian soil in 1923 as Missionaries from the Abbey of Berne, the Netherlands. Their field of ministry was located in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. In 1929 they took up Jabalpur region for their apostolate. They concentrated mainly on the development of the people of Mandla District (M.P) through parochial, education and health care activities.
In 1932, Jabalpur was constituted as a ‘Prefecture Apostolic’ and The Rt. Rev. Msgr. Conrad Dubbleman, O. Praem was appointed as the first Prefect Apostolic. On July 5, 1954, Jabalpur was raised to the status of a Diocese and Msgr. Conrad Dubbleman, O. Praem became its first Bishop. St. Norbert Priory, the First House of the Norbertine Order, was started at Jamtara, in the suburbs of Jabalpur Town. The Novitiate was established at Jamtara, Jabalpur in 1962. St. Norbert Priory at Jamtara, Jabalpur was raised to the status of Sub- Canonry on July 31, 1976 and declared as an Autonomous Canonry on the February 15, 1984.
The Rt. Rev. Rocky D’Souza, O. Praem was elected as the second Abbot of St. Norbert Abbey, Jamtara on August 1, 2003 and he received his Abbatial Blessing on September 17, 2003. He is also elected as Definitor of the Order at the General Chapter- 2006.
The Rt. Rev. Benzes Thomas, O.Praem was elected as the third Abbot of St. Norbert Abbey, Jamtara on July 23, 2009 and he received his Abbatial Blessing on September 12, 2009.